115g Unsalted butter (room temperature)
½ cup White sugar
½ cup Brown sugar
1 cup Plain flour
80g Teh Tarik 3-in-1 mix (approximately 2 sachets)
1 tsp Vanilla essence
¼ tsp Bicarbonate of soda
⅓ tsp Baking powder
4 tbsp Hot water
Pinch of salt (optional)
115g Vegetable shortening
200g Sweetened condensed milk
227g Unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven at 175°C for 20 mins.
- Mix unsalted butter at room temperature, white sugar and brown sugar.
- Mix the mixture well till texture is consistent.
- Whisk 3 eggs until the yolks and whites are blended. Slowly mix into the mixture.
- Add the vanilla essence. Mix slowly.
- Sift in plain flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt. Slowly mix into the mixture bit by bit to form the batter.
- Use 4 tbsp of hot water and dissolve the Teh Tarik powder. The consistency should be smooth peanut butter-like.
- Add Teh Tarik mixture into the batter bit by bit and mix.
- Use the mixer and set to low speed for 1 min, and then on high speed for 5 – 7 mins.
- Pour mixture into cupcake cases and bake for 20 mins.
- Leave cupcakes to cool.
- In a large bowl, use a mixer to whip butter and vegetable shortening for 3 – 4 mins till it’s light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat for 1 min.
- Add the condensed milk to the mixture and whip for 1 min. Do not beat too much to avoid introducing air into the final frosting.
- Transfer the icing to a piping bag with a nozzle of choice.
- Ensure the cupcakes are cooled down before piping.