2 tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil
1 knob of Fresh Ginger, sliced into thin strips
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 tsp Chilli Flakes
2 cups Fresh Shiitake Mushrooms, stems discarded, thinly sliced
1 pack of Thin Green Asparagus, cut into 5cm pieces
3 ½ cups Brown Rice, cooked, best cooked the day before, and refrigerated overnight
1 tbsp low sodium Tamari (Japanese soy sauce)
Salt, to taste
White Pepper, to taste
Lemon Juice, to taste
½ tbsp Shaoxing wine (optional)
- On medium fire, heat oil in a large sauté pan. Add in ginger, and stir constantly to prevent burning. Cook until a light, crispy brown – about one minute. Turn heat off, remove the ginger immediately and set aside (leave the oil in the pan).
- Reheat the ginger-infused oil. Add in garlic, red chilli flakes, shiitake mushrooms, and a small pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms start to release moisture.
- Toss in the asparagus and continue to sauté for another 2 minutes. Add in a bit more oil if needed.
- Then crumble in brown rice to loosen the clumps. Add in tamari, salt, and Shaoxing wine (optional), and cook for another 8-10 minutes, or until heated through.
- Finally, add ground white pepper and lemon juice. And either stir in the crispy ginger slices to combine with the brown rice or use them as a garnish. Serve immediately.