1 whole Chicken approx. 1.2kg, cut into 10/12 pieces
1 fresh Kaffir lime leaf (for garnishing)*
4 fresh Kaffir lime leaves – torn into quarters*
2 cups Water
170ml Coconut milk
1 tbsp Lime juice
4 tbsp Cooking oil
3 stalks Lemon grass (use the bottom white part only)
4 cloves Garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
5 fresh Large red chillies
10 dried Red chillies, soaked in hot water for 10 mins
15 Shallots, peeled
½ inch Fresh turmeric*
½ inch Fresh ginger
1 ½ inch Fresh galangal
¼ tbsp Belacan
¼ tsp Salt
½ tbsp Coconut sugar*
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store.
- Add all the spice paste ingredients into a food processor and blend till fine.
- In a wok, heat up the oil.
- Add in the spice paste and sauté for about 30 secs.
- Add in half portion of the quartered kaffir lime leaves to the paste and sauté the spice paste for another 2 – 3 mins till aromatic.
- Add in the chicken. Stir-fry for 1 min, ensuring each piece of chicken is coated with the spice paste.
- Add water and tamarind liquid and bring it to boil.
- Add in the remaining kaffir lime leaves. Lower the heat to medium-low.
- Stir and continue cooking the chicken for about 20 – 25 mins or until the chicken is tender and gravy thickens. Add in a bit more water if gravy gets too dry.
- Season with salt and coconut sugar. Swirl in the coconut milk and mix well. Turn off fire.
- Dish out and garnish with shredded kaffir lime leaves.
- Add the lime juice.